June 24, 2008

June 4, 2008 + Your reasonable stewardship + Hayward Fong

1 Timothy 4

“Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophetic utterance when the elders laid their hands upon you” (1 Tim. 4:14).

In the preceding verses, Paul tells Timothy “...set the believers an example in speech and conduct, in love, in faith, in purity” (1 Tim 4:12). “...attend to the public reading of scripture, to preaching, to teaching” (1 Tim. 4:13). You’re probably wondering, “What does Paul’s admonition have to do with me? I’m not a pastor; some of you might say, ‘I’m not even an elder or a deacon.’” However, as Christians, we should be guided by the first part of verse 14, “Do not neglect the gift you have...” James tells us, “Every good endowment and perfect gift comes from God.” So, as stewards we should use them to glorify Him.

Loren Hollander, renowned musician, was found following an evening concert, practicing at the piano. It seemed strange to this person who had just attended the concert, so he asked this great pianist why he was back at the piano practicing. This great master shared his philosophy with the man. Great musicians are not exempt from training and discipline that others must submit to. Gifted people must submit to the same training and discipline or the gift will be wasted and lost. The gift is from God and the one who receives it has a solemn responsibility to discipline and develop it so the potential for sublime achievement can be fully realized.

It has been almost twenty-eight years since I retired from the Los Angeles County Road Department and U.S. Army Reserve, and almost twenty years since my retirement from the City of Gardena. For many years I continued to serve on several engineering committees, where I saw former colleagues on a regular basis. They would often greet me with, “How’s retirement; playing a lot of golf?” My answer was usually, “I haven’t swung a club in years though I still keep a 7-iron in the trunk of my car. Quite honestly, I’m so busy, I haven’t figured out how I found time to work at my job before retirement; although I must confess, I’m not as efficient as I use to be.” Incidentally, the golf club is still in the trunk of my car.

God gives us many gifts and talents, but there is one common gift, though of different lengths, and that is the gift of TIME. From the pen of an anonymous writer: “Birth is the point of initiation of the chain of life. Time determines its length. The value of the chain is determined by accomplishments. Failure to enjoy it is its waste.”

Retirement has brought me a gift that we don’t often think about, the gift of TIME, with endless choices on its use: Time to learn, to explore, to listen; Time to gain a sense of calm, quiet trust, to grow closer to loved ones, and to serve the Lord and His children.

From time to time, I run into retired people who have found life boring because they don’t have anything to do. Several years ago, I attended a luncheon meeting of the Women’s Club of Hollywood. My host asked if I would sit with some visitors from out of town. I was seated next to a retiree and I asked her how she was enjoying retired life. My question opened a “can of worms.” She complained there was nothing to do and then went through a litany of what was wrong with retired life. It was only a few days before that Irene Ells had told Dorothy and me about the joy she derives from reading to the children at the local library. So, I suggested to this lady that she might find reading to children an enjoyable and fulfilling activity. She replied that she has had her fill of volunteer work and wasn’t going to spend her retirement doing the same. I thought to myself, “How sad!

At my stage of life, I’m attending many funeral and memorial services of people I’ve known over the years. Last Saturday as I was planning today’s worship service, I received a telephone call from Betty Shishido, one of my former secretaries at the County Road Department. It was seven years ago that I attended the memorial service for her husband, Harry Shishido. The Lord had called him home most unexpectedly. There were over four hundred people in the church. Harry had retired some time earlier after working forty-two years with the Defense Department, interrupted by service in World War II. I knew Harry had always led a busy life, father of two daughters, with his wife’s mother having been a part of the household for decades and his wife being blind for the preceding ten years. None of this slowed Harry down in his retirement. He made time for his grandchildren, taking them to school, outings together and serving on the PTA as he had done when the girls were growing up. He served as a leader of the V.F.W. from the local post to the national level. He had time for people – his family, his community, his church, his country.

It has been hard for Betty to adjust to the loss of her husband, most especially being blind. However, she has not allowed her visual impairment be an impediment. She learned to use the computer; her old machine has gone to its Valhalla and she now has to learn how to use the new computer. She comes in from Monterey Park to the Braille Institute here on Vermont Ave., attends various classes to increase her independence, volunteers her secretarial abilities, but finds time to learn fun activities. She has learned to swim and play the piano. The swim classes are held at St. Agnes Catholic School down at Adams and Vermont. In return for their hospitality, the Braille people present a monthly music program at which Betty plays piano accompaniment.

My mind turned to various people in history, who did their greatest work in what we term retirement years...Plato learning at 50 and then teaching at 60; Goethe starting his writing of Faust at 60 and continuing until he finished it in his 80's; Gladstone serving as Prime Minister of Great Britain at 82.

Then I thought of people closer here at home...Ruth Beck continuing to serve her Lord until called to be with Him in her 90's; Liz Morgan faithfully carrying out her myriad of volunteer activities on all sixteen cylinders into her 90’s until her eye sight slowed her down ... to name but two.

Accompanying William Baxa’s letter in Immanuel’s stewardship mailing was an article I wrote about my stewardship here for the past sixty plus years. I mentioned some of what Dorothy and I have done with the gifts that God has endowed us over and above the material things. I attempted to point out as stewards, we are entrusted to look after and take care of that which God has entrusted to our care, which is all His Creation. It encompasses all His gifts…time, talents, money, and earthly opportunities. We are formed in God’s image to represent Him on earth so that all the earth, in turn could glorify Him better and better. It is axiomatic, if we don’t use our gifts for His sake, we will lose it. “It is required in stewards that a man be found faithful” (I Corinthians 4:2).

Retirement from work is not retirement from life. It only means more of His gift, TIME; TIME to be His hands and feet in sharing His message of love and salvation.

PRAYER: My Lord and my God: There is so much to be done in Your name. Don’t let me waste one precious moment. Amen.