March 5, 2009

January 7, 2009 + The Twelve Days of Christmas + Hayward Fong


You’re probably wondering why, instead of Scripture readings, we sang the song “The Twelve Days of Christmas” and what it has to do with Christianity? Some of you may remember Rev. Max Greenlee who was our minister of visitation for a couple of years. One Christmas, he received a one page writing on “The Twelve Days of Christmas” from an anonymous source and thought it was interesting enough to pass along. I was fortunate enough to receive a copy. Being the “string-saver” that I am, I dropped it into my resource folder for future use. I believe you will enjoy the theological background of the lyrics.

In 16th century England after the accession of Queen Elizabeth I, the English who remained loyal to Roman Catholicism found themselves on the wrong side of the law. They were forbidden by royal decree to teach the catechism to their children, so they disguised catechistic teachings in metaphors and put them to a tune. “The Twelve Days of Christmas” is one of those resulting songs. The carol veils truths about Christ’s life and message.

The singer of the carol is an ordinary person who believes in Christ, and his or her “true love” is God the Father. The accumulative pattern of going back each time through all the verses teaches the on-going and abundant blessings of God.

“One the first day of Christmas, my true love sent to me a partridge in a pear tree.” The partridge, a bird reputed to choose death to defend its young, is an ancient Christian symbol of Christ.

“On the second day of Christmas, my true love sent to me two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree.” The two turtle doves signify the sacrifice offered by Joseph and Mary at the presentation of Jesus in the temple. (Luke 2:20-24)

“On the third day of Christmas, by true love sent to me three French hens, two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree.” The three French hens, priceless in 16th century England, represent the gifts of the Magi, gold and frankincense and Myrrh. (Matthew 2:10-11)

“On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me four colly birds, three French hens, two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree.” The four colly birds are the four gospel writers, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

“On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me five gold rings, four colly birds, three French hens, two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree.” The five gold rings represent the Torah, the first five books of the Old Testament. (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy)

“On the sixth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me six geese a-laying, five gold rings, four colly birds, three French hens, two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree.” The six geese a-laying signify the six days of creation. (Genesis, Ch. 1)

“On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love sent to me seven swans a-swimming, six geese a-laying, five gold rings, four colly birds, three French hens, two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree.” The seven swans a-swimming are the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. (Galatians 5:22-23)

“On the eighth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me eight maids a-milking, seven swans a-swimming, six geese a-swimming, five gold rings, four colly birds, three French hens, two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree.” The eight maids a-milking

are the Beatitudes, which nourish our spirituality. (Mathew 5:3-10)

“On the ninth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me nine ladies dancing, eight maids a-milking, seven swans a-swimming, six geese a-laying, five gold rings, four colly birds, three French hens, two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree.” The nine ladies dancing refer to the nine choirs of angels.

“On the tenth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me ten lords a-leaping, nine ladies dancing, eight maids a-milking, seven swans a-swimming, six geese a-laying, five gold rings, four colly birds, three French hens, two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree.” The ten lords a-leaping are the Ten Commandments, (Exodus 20:3-17)

On the eleventh day of Christmas, my true love sent to me eleven pipers piping, ten lords a-leaping, nine ladies dancing, eight maids a-milking, seven swans a-swimming, six geese a-laying, five gold rings, four colly birds, three French hens, two turtle dives and a partridge in a pear tree.” The eleven pipers piping signify the eleven apostles who proclaimed the resurrection (minus Judas Iscariot who was later replaced by Matthias).

On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me twelve drummers drumming, eleven pipers piping, ten lords a-leaping, nine ladies dancing, eight maids a-milking, seven swans a-swimming, six geese a-laying, five gold rings, four colly birds, three French hens, two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree.” The twelve drummers drumming denote the twelve basic beliefs enshrined in the Apostles’ Creed.

So when next you hear “The Twelve Days of Christmas,” maybe you can use the occasion to lift your heart and your mind to God,

praising Him for coming to earth as the perfect Lamb of God, the Prince of Peace.

Reference: 010704